Tuesday, January 10, 2012

New goals for a new year!

So I’ve been toying with the idea of writing a blog for quite a while now, but I’ve never really felt I would be able to give it the time it deserves. After a really great and helpful discussion with a friend last night, I think it is time for me to attempt a start! I love music, especially the band Lifehouse, which anyone who has met me for more than five minutes is aware of. You actually don’t have to have met me to know this. :) I also love books, and I want this to be a place where I can share the music and books that I love with whoever decides that my goofy ramblings are interesting enough to read.
I am also a full time student at McGill University in Montreal, studying to get a bachelor of science in physiology. On most days if you asked me, I would say that I do not love this. Today marked the beginning of the second half of this journey I have somehow found myself on. While I am still (mostly impatiently) waiting for my grades from the disaster that was last semester, I’m hoping to keep a positive attitude about the next few months. I’ve tried setting some goals, or New Year’s resolutions if you will, that I’d like to stick to for this upcoming semester and year.

1. Stay positive. This is probably the most important, because I find that the more I let negative thoughts about school seep into my mind, the less motivated I feel, and the worse I end up doing. And so begins the vicious cycle! It also might help to keep me from allowing myself to slip into a school induced black cloud of despair!
2. Do something everyday that I enjoy, just for myself. Whether it’s just reading a few chapters in a good book or finding some new music, I want to have something positive to say about every day.
3. Figure out new ways to deal with stress and anxiety, without allowing them to run my life. Hopefully having this blog as an outlet will help with that!
4. Go to sleep by midnight at the very latest on school nights. Since I am oh so lucky enough to live over an hour away from campus, I have to wake up at 6:30 for my morning classes, and I am certainly not a morning person! On my first day, I made it halfway through my third class before I fell asleep, which I view as a strong accomplishment. However, I’d like to avoid having to take naps on the couches on the fourth floor of my building during breaks, and instead be able to do something productive! This will not happen if I allow my insomniac ways to prevail over common sense.
5. Start to eat healthier and get in shape. Also, limit myself to one Dr. Pepper each day. I’m not saying I necessarily feel I need to lose a ton of weight, but I always feel less tired and better about myself in general when I’m active and not eating too much junk food. I’ve unfortunately already not been doing too well with this one, if you consider the cheeseburger I had for dinner and the two empty cans of Dr. Pepper currently sitting on my desk.
6. Stop procrastinating! Prioritizing and getting long term assignments and studying done in advance will definitely help to eliminate a lot of stress during midterms and finals.
7. Try to see Lifehouse live at least three times this year. Yes, I am fully aware of the ridiculousness of this goal, but it does tie in very well to number 2. :)
8. Make sure to keep updating this blog, at least twice a week!
9. Laugh. Everyday.

I hope to look back at the end of the semester and realize that I’ve stuck to most of these goals, at the very least through the end of January. Here’s hoping that 2012 is the best year yet. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment